Sunday, July 17, 2005

Light

Of late, my thoughts have travelled to some very dark places. Unfortunately, its the legacy of a Melancholy. Though in all this I have seen the Gospel, in such a way, that I have never personally grasped it before.

Maybe this is what Luther saw too. The Gospel Truth - that can be grasped completely and only by Faith.

The Truth stands alone, untouched by anything. Regardless.

It must be left alone. It is set apart from everything, and is completely without burden of law — circumcision, Sabbath, Tithe or abstinence. Anything less, is well—a lesser Gospel.

It must be kept so, to preach the Gospel with any encumbrance at all is nothing short of idolatry. This is because it inhibits the fullness of faith. Maybe this is what St Paul was talking about in Gal 1:6-12.

Today, I feel like Gollum, with this insight wanting to sit and treasure "My precious", but I feel it must be shared.

Though, my friends, I can only point you to the field, this revelation, in all of its entirety can only come by doing the hard digging yourselves!.

4 comments:

Brad said...

G'day Lionfish - thanks for the comment on my blog. Always great to get further input and feedback from people 'out there'. Seen your nic around but never had a look around here. I like your post here.

For much of the year I've been pondering the issue of what is the gospel myself, and how we can focus on the core truth that it is without it getting lost in other fads, programs, 'isms, methodologies.

Like you I find that its in the darker times, often when I am at the end of myself, that God reveals. It terrible, beautiful thing.

halieus said...

Immortal love, forever full,
Forever flowing free,
Forever shared, forever whole,
A never ebbing sea!

No offering of my own I have,
Nor works my faith to prove;
I can but give the gifts He gave,
And plead His love for love.

I see the wrong that round me lies,
I feel the guilt within;
I hear, with groan and travail-cries,
The world confess its sin.

Yet, in the maddening maze of things,
And tossed by storm and flood,
To one fixed trust my spirit clings;
I know that God is good!

I dimly guess from blessings known
Of greater out of sight,
And, with the chastened Psalmist, own
His judgments too are right.

I know not what the future hath
Of marvel or surprise,
Assured alone that life and death
His mercy underlies

And so beside the silent sea
I wait the muffled oar;
No harm from Him can come to me
On ocean or on shore.

I know not where His islands lift
Their fronded palms in air;
I only know I cannot drift
Beyond His love and care.
(J.G. Whittier, 1867)

Thanks Lionfish, your thoughts reminded me of this, I'm not sure why, but I thought I'd share it with you.

halieus said...

Immortal love, forever full,
Forever flowing free,
Forever shared, forever whole,
A never ebbing sea!

No offering of my own I have,
Nor works my faith to prove;
I can but give the gifts He gave,
And plead His love for love.

I see the wrong that round me lies,
I feel the guilt within;
I hear, with groan and travail-cries,
The world confess its sin.

Yet, in the maddening maze of things,
And tossed by storm and flood,
To one fixed trust my spirit clings;
I know that God is good!

I dimly guess from blessings known
Of greater out of sight,
And, with the chastened Psalmist, own
His judgments too are right.

I know not what the future hath
Of marvel or surprise,
Assured alone that life and death
His mercy underlies

And so beside the silent sea
I wait the muffled oar;
No harm from Him can come to me
On ocean or on shore.

I know not where His islands lift
Their fronded palms in air;
I only know I cannot drift
Beyond His love and care.
(J.G. Whittier, 1867)

Thanks Lionfish, your thoughts reminded me of this, I'm not sure why, but I thought I'd share it with you.

halieus said...

Sorry, I posted twice:-(