Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Delivered

Tonight, a small celebration at home. It's raining. THe hauntingly sweet sound of 'Dido' fills the living room. The boys are in bed asleep. Take away Pasta, for dinner. No cooking tonight. And one glass of red. I bought myself a gift. A new book - 'Bono on Bono'. It's introspective and I'll blog some on it soon.

We delivered our systems upgrade over the weekend. On time. On Budget. To Quality. The culimination of six months concerted effort by a core team ofabout six, plus many others. Over the past week there was significant pressure to "get it right the first time". You can't afford to get a financial system wrong. Also a few clashes, and heated words exchanged. And then forgiveness in the workplace.

Grace works.

My team planned well worked harda and was well prepared for the conversion. We had rehearsed plans for 'delays' and ro 'roll-back' if anything went wrong. And there was issues. But they were minor and were overcome. I guess you have to "Expect the Unexpected". Who'd expect a UPS failure in a black-out during a storm?

So what to I take way from this that is far more important than a little boast for my resume?

Its often been said that "Project's fail because of people". I think that the converse is true. "Projects succeed because of people".

After spending most of my adult life focused on acquiring education and completing tasks, as old as I am, I have finally worked out that 'people are great'. I'm now only realising 'that it is all about people'.

My worldview was once underpinned by a belief that people were inherently bad, all tainted by original sin and thats why the Saviour had to come. To complete a task.

True...

But Christ came because he believes that people are great...

He undertook the task because it's 'all about' the people. There is something 'inherntly great' about all people. I think that "Inherently great" conveys a sense of the possibilities, the potential and most of all Hope for each and every human being. No-one is without Hope. (After Thought: >>> A leopard can change its spots?)

"This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life". John 3:16, MSG

2 comments:

The Faith Expedition said...

You know Lion...that is the first time I have ever really considered the fact that "God loved us so much that He sent Christ." I've also only really thought of it in terms of we were so aweful, God had to send Christ in order to be able to love us. You just gave me the 'shivers' spiritually speaking. And a lightbulb just clicked on over my head. That's really profound and could be life-changing if you think about it. God already considered me worthy, lovable, great! It takes away some of the guilt of feeling unworthy all of the time. Makes me want to be the great person God sees in me. Thanks so much for sharing!

Accidental Academic said...

Yep - People are great BUT people are not good. I guess those two ideas sum up why Christ had to come. We have potential but without him we would realise it.