Monday, June 13, 2005

Free..for a while

"Wisdom, which we have derived principally from the Greeks,
is but like the boyhood of knowledge, and has the characteristic property of boys;
it can talk, but cannot generate".

-Francis Bacon, The New Organon


Finished my assignments and exam last week. It was my first weekend free in a while. Upon reflection,

I learned much from this unit...much was based on philosophy: Examining the differences bewteen Platonic and New Pragmatic frames of thinking. Quite powerful tools when applied. I think though my lecturer will be shocked when he reads my exam paper. The topic was supposed to include Project Management Case Studies...I applied the thinking techniques to ST Paul on Mars Hill addressing the Greek Philosophers ;-).

Its a funny thing, I am growing in my Project Management skills and knowledge, but every now and then get a glimpse of a much wider, application of these skills. ALl in good time.

Anyway, at the invitation of my friends from the Lutheran Church we attnded up until about five years ago, I attended a service last night and was particularly impressed at some of the changes in the last five years.

A guest Pastor spoke on why we are designed to 'Shine', but why we so often fail to do so. He said it stretched his Lutheran heart, but ST Paul urged us to 'work at our salvation' (can't remember the exact scripture).

He also quoted Tolstoy via Yancey "Does it matter as to whether I am drunk or whether I am sober on the journey home?...As long as I am on the journey home." Not to endorse drunkeness, rather that we are still depraved in our righteousness and growing discipleship. Tolstoy goes on to say "if you think I'm bad, well you should have seen me ten years ago". Discipleship is a Journey. And I feel comfortable with that.

2 comments:

The Faith Expedition said...

Congrats on finishing your exam and finding freedom, however brief. Thanks for you continued prayers and friendship.

IMO said...

Yes, Lionfish, it is! AMEN! I'm glad that you had a great worship experience.