Friday, August 19, 2005

On the Quiet




“The more I see the less I know”
-U2, ‘City of Blinding Lights’


I have not written much here for a while, as there has been much that has been on my mind.

Presently, I am taking some time out in order to ‘refresh with my spirituality’ and get my head around a few things.

In the meantime, I have being ‘hanging out’ at some of the older traditional Churches in our city. In their quietness I have been impressed.

Last Sunday, I attend an informal Lutheran Church service with a speaker who works with the poor and marginalized in low socio-economic areas.

This Sunday, I plan to attend a formal ‘Taize’ style worship service at an old Church in the City. Soon, for something different, I also plan to spend a weekend with the Monks at New Norcia on a retreat.

Everyday, on the way to work, I pass an old traditional Church in our city that in my arrogance I had written it off as a ‘has been’.

I would often sneer at the corny quote board on the front wall, however, of late the quotes have been uncannily pertinent to my life situation, that the words have just jumped out at me:

1) “If we say we are without fault then the Truth is not in us”.
2) “Likw Light, Truth always Travels in Straight Lines”.
3) “Forget Others Faults By Remembering Your Own!”...

God knows where we are at. I believe that he communicates his wisdom through the quiet things that confound “the wise”—even corny old Church Quote Boards!.

I have a lot to learn!

3 comments:

The Faith Expedition said...

That's really awesome Lionfish. Can't wait to hear all about the Monks retreat!

IMO said...

Wow--great experiences! That building in the pic is beautiful! Stepping even outside our faith, we learn much about much. The muslims, at least here, are having like an open house at the beginning of each month. I think we will go visit a mosque. I have visted many who are very open to go to our churches and so why don't we go to theirs and show them that we are interested in them as people? Is Muhammed going to jump out and "get" us? I don't think so.

Kel said...

getting out of routine and experiencing new perspectives on worship is a refreshing thing to do

glad to hear you've been out and about and expanding your perspective

and nice to see you posting again