Saturday, February 12, 2005

Life, Love and Mortality

This morning, I took my 10 month son for walk while I let my wife sleep-in a little longer. First stop a couple of kilometers away - a cafe where I had a shot of coffee and fed him some ‘baby-food’. Then to the beach where he could play in the sand we had a ball.

Like a baby turtle, hatched in the sand, I would place him on the beach and he would rotate and crawl without hesitation to the waters edge - leaving little tracks behind him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
A few thoughts rushed through my head.

The first was that I was initially reluctant to have a second child as I never thought that my love would extend beyond my first.

This is flawed thinking. Something you cannot comprehend until you have experienced the birth of a second child.

Love divides and multiplies infinitely. Each child is loved no more and no less than another.

The second thought was that its is a privilege to have life, to give life and to share life experiences with others - particulary our children.

I thought to myself would it be preferable to have life everlasting and to enjoy life eternally but not the ability to procreate and bring others into existence to partake in what life has to offer.

Or to be mortal but have the privilege of bring another life into the world to enjoy the same experiences.

I would definitely choose the latter.

Although, we know that with the Hope that is offered beyond this life – we can have our cake and it eat too!

And just maybe, this will give us a glimpse into why the Father has created and brought beings to life, to love and to immortality.

2 comments:

The Faith Expedition said...

A very thoughtful blog Lionfish. And I concur. My husband and I used to think we wanted to be D.I.N.K.S (Double Income, No Kids) And then one day, much to our surprise, we were having a baby. Now, when we look back at our 'Dink' life, it seems like it was always missing something and when our son came along, that space was filled and we can't imagine life without him. By the way, my son is also 10 months, born April 11th (Easter Sunday).

IMO said...

Awesome post! That is a beautiful take on life. Between my husband, you and all of the other wonderful valentines posts I've read, my outlook on what goes on inside you "guys'" heads is different. You are wonderful images of God!