Saturday, February 05, 2005

Self Centredness

Some random thoughts on things running through my mind...

17As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
18“Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good–except God alone. 19You know the commandments: ‘Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, do not defraud, honor your father and mother.’[d]”

20“Teacher,” he declared, “all these I have kept since I was a boy.”

21Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22At this the man's face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.


This, I find as the scariest passage in the Bible. I am no professional Bible scholar, but I do believe that this passage may be more about selfishness than about "the money".

This young man was so self-centred (self-absorbed) ie. "its all about me" - that Jesus had to recommend 'radical action'.

Like so many men that I know, and associate with, I see alot of myself in this man - a self-reliance, a level of arrogance, self-importance and a degree of inner emptiness. Most of all, this man seemed to admire his own reflection - an unrealistic image of his true-self.

Possibly this man's problem was really extreme narcissism which according to my readings is so interwined with self that it, (like perhaps homosexuality) is so incredibly hard to cure.

Though atleast ther is hope...The Bible goes on to state "27Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God."

No comments: