Saturday, January 15, 2005

A Little Post on Ettiquette

At the risk of appearing conceited, due to persistence, hard work and continuous learning (and very little natural ability) I have become competent at executing my job. I take pride in having an outstanding track record of delivering complex projects – often working through people to get things done.

However, there is an important area where I must improve, if I am to succeed to the next level of my career. Melancholy by design, I often appear aloof and directive in my communications. Thinking about how things should be said, does not come naturally. It takes time and effort to communicate with finesse, and as a consequence I more-often default to my task-oriented disposition. Oftimes leaving others to pick up the pieces.

How quick I am to forget the wise words of my boss and mentor “It’s not what you say – it’s the way that you say it”.

A valued colleague and friend, with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer gave me a book for Christmas entitled "The Little Book of Etiquette". I will do well to take on board his intimation and read it.

1 comment:

Garth said...

Know what you mean...

I often wonder how I come across, as we never get the 3rd person view on ourselves. Operating within your personality type on all occasions may not always be appropriate hey. Its something my wife and I try to pick each other up on and we can then take ownership of our unpleasantness etc when it happens.