Tuesday, January 04, 2005

On Suffering

The wounded surgeon plies the steel
That questions the distempered part;
Beneath the bleeding hands we feel
The sharp compassion of the healer's art
Resolving the enigma of the fever chart.

Our only health is the disease
If we obey the dying nurse
Whose constant care is not to please
But to remind of our, and Adams curse,
And that to be restored, our sickness must grow worse.


-From “The Four Ouartets” by TS Elliot,


The meaning of suffering is a question on the lips of many at present. A couple of articles I have read today have used the words of TS Eliiott quoted above.

One of those articles, worth reading is here.

2 comments:

Coffeegrind said...

This suffering has allowed for many varied opportunities. For me, its time to re-evaluate, be known for what I am for (not for what I am against), take affirmative action, ask questions & do something however small I feel it is. It may just rock a person's day!

The Faith Expedition said...

I feel so saddened by this incomprehensible tragedy. I also feel tremendous guilt. Guilt because somehow, it all feels so far away. I feel very disconnected from what's happend 'way over there'. I feel so safe in my beautiful Canadian home. Warm, secure and nourished. It's hard to wrap my mind around the enormity of what has transpired. 9/11 was so different. I cried for days. And yet, the numbers of lives lost that day pale in comparison to the death toll rendered by the tsunami. Is it because it was closer to home? Is it because it was a senseless act of man rather than a random act of nature? I'm not sure. But I am sure that I should be feeling something more. Doing something more than just donating money to a faceless charity. Guilt...tremendous guilt.