Friday, January 14, 2005

On the Origin of Evil.

Rather than do some thinking tonight – I thought I might grab some late night musings that I left on Marisa’s blog regarding the origin of Evil a few nights ago.

If there are any theologians out there that might have something to offer or to correct me please let me know.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Bahai Faith colleague once remarked "that there is no such thing as sin - only the absence of good".

I think that as Chrstians we are clear in our views on the existence of evil. There is good and there is evil.

In my own life, I can choose to do acts of good, acts of evil or do nothing. Of course I can fail to do good when good is required - that can be evil. But when I am asleep am I doing good or evil? No rather I am not doing anything!

So did God create Evil. No, there is no Evil in God, but he did create beings with freewill. With freewill lies the potential to (choose) to do good or evil.

So the question rather should be - "Why did a perfect loving God choose to create beings capable of choosing evil?"

(I think that) the objects of ones love can choose to accept or reject the loving relationship offered to it when they have freewill.

So really Evil is the manifestation of a choice made to accept or reject the love of God (in the variety of forms that may take). ie. Putting that choice into action.

Good is an action (decision) and also Evil is a decision.

No comments: