Friday, January 07, 2005

Time Value of Life

I am a Gentile Christian.

I love the freedom that my Faith brings. With the wonderful understanding of Grace given me through a Lutheran inheritence and studying the wonderful works of Luther and Yancey and others.

And ultimately the legacy writings of St Paul, ancient Letters to Romans and Galation beneficiaries - has my relieved my debt and released creditors obligated to persue my Soul.

I am not under Law - but under Grace.

But herein lies the problem.

Like a Bankrupt reissued with a credit card without a limit - I am perpetually spendthrift and guilty of "Grace abuse".

I need God to provide me with limits. Not the external restrictions placed by a Banker on my ability to spend. Rather a Spirit that by default will manage the investment in the currency that is my life — into His service to yield more favourable returns.

Before the time value of this life fails to break-even - and my Investor withdraws his goodwill.

4 comments:

The Faith Expedition said...

Hi lionfish. Great post. I'm also living by grace and find life only worth living as long as I'm under His Wings. Thanks for your encouraging post to my blog. Regarding diving in B.C. I can only use one word...Awesome! (Oh, and maybe cold!) This is where I learned to dive and so it will always be my favourite. However, warm water diving is a lot easier; lighter gear, thinner wetsuit, easier on air consumption. However, there is something truly 'wild and untouched' about diving in British Columbia. It's definitely extreme diving here with strong currents, cold temperatures and often limited visibility. But when it's good...it's really good. Emerald water, giant pacific octopus and enormous anemones make it truly incredible. You should try it. I, on the other hand, would love to try the Great Barrier Reef! Have an awesome day!

The Faith Expedition said...

P.S.
Your 'Investor' will never "withdraw His good will". It's not in His nature nor His promise!

Lionfish said...

Chins-up, Many thanks :-)

I was reflecting on the Parable of the Talents (Matt 25:14-26) and what you do with your life.

Lionfish said...

Thanks Marisa, for your comment...though I'm not so sure that we need to live by the Law as prescribed in the OT...based on what I read in the writings of Galatians and Romans if I tried to live under Law both St Paul and Martin Luther would turn in their graves :-).

I believe we are to live by the Spirit in freedom as by the Law inscribed on our hearts and our consciences - a higher way of living of which the Mosaic laws were but only a shadow.

Thats why my heart tells me that I can't rely on external laws for my righteousness - I can only rely on what was achieved on Calvary.

The Gospel, as I understand it, could not be contained in the 'Old Wineskins' that are used by Jesus to describe Mosaic law. :-)